The BEST Air Fryer Meatloaf
Air Fryer Meatloaf is full of flavor, easy to make, and cooks in only 30 minutes. Rubbed sage gives it a unique flavor and a homemade saucy glaze is the finishing touch. Easy enough for a weeknight meal!
This has been my go-to meatloaf recipe for over 15 years. This is one of the few meat dishes The Girl will eat – it’s that good!
Just when I thought my Instant Pot and Slow cooker were near and dear to my heart, along came the air fryer. I was hooked the first time I used it.
On a serious note I hardly ever use my oven anymore. I love the convenience that comes with these versatile small appliances. Shortened cook times and not having to heat up my kitchen make them a top choice for cooking.
When it comes to choosing air fryers there are quite a few on the market, but my favorite so far has to be the Cosori. Trust me I should know because I’ve tried several over the years and currently have 2 different types. Remember, I said I was hooked!
If you are new to air frying, be sure to check out Amazon for all of the cool accessories. The parchment paper liners are one of my favorites.
There are also muffin tins and molds, loaf pans, and pizza pans that are made specifically for the air fryer. While you can use your regular pans in there, oftentimes the sizes don’t work out. The air fryer baking accessories tend to be smaller and are made to fit. Don’t forget to check sizes with your model to make sure they fit.
On to the good stuff! The original recipe called for oven baking, making this a “Sunday dinner” meal due to the extended baking time.
The good news is we can now enjoy meatloaf on a weeknight! I’ve tinkered around with the recipe and am loving this easier version. I’m super excited to share it with you as an air fryer version.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Meatloaf
Ground beef – Preferably 91 or 93% lean. You can also substitute ground turkey for a healthier option.
Eggs – you want these slightly beaten. These help to hold the loaf together.
Milk – we recommend either whole or 2%.
Crackers – saltine’s help to hold the loaf together as well.
Sage – I typically don’t buy a spice/herb for 1 recipe, but I make exception for this recipe. The rubbed sage makes this dish.
Salt and pepper
What You Need For The Sauce and How To Make It
I know some people use bbq sauce on their meatloaf or even brown gravy, but we are an old school ketchup family.
To make the meatloaf sauce or glaze, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Set this aside until after the meatloaf has cooked for about 20 minutes, then brush it on.
I use the Cosori air fryer, and it has been great if you are shopping for a new model or want to upgrade.
How To Make Air Fryer Meatloaf
Now that you know what to do with the sauce, let’s move on to the meatloaf.
Combine the beaten eggs, milk, crushed crackers, onions, spices, and ground beef but don’t overmix or you’ll end up with a dry and dense meatloaf. Shape to form into a loaf.
Place the loaf into the lined air fryer basket or tray and cook for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Check the meatloaf after about 10 minutes of cooking. Add a small piece of heavy duty foil on top of the loaf if it starts getting too brown.
Brush the meatloaf with the sauce you prepared earlier and cook a little longer, until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
You’ll want to allow the loaf to rest before slicing – this helps it set up and keeps it from falling apart.
Ta-Da! Ready to serve and you never even had to turn on the oven!
Instructions to Make Oven Baked Meatloaf
If you would rather make your meatloaf in the oven, simply follow the same instructions above but cook at 350 degrees for 60-75 minutes. Add the sauce to the top in the last 20 minutes of the cooking time.
How To Store Meatloaf After it Has Been Cooked
To keep your meatloaf as fresh as possible, wrap cooled leftovers in plastic wrap. Then store it in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last about 3-4 days as long as it is stored properly.
What to Serve with Meatloaf
We like to make a fresh veggie side when we make meatloaf, like air fryer brussels sprouts with bacon or air fried cauliflower. It’s ready in only 5 minutes and you can use fresh or frozen!
More Air Fryer Dinner Recipes
**Save Air Fryer Meatloaf Recipe for Later**
Air Fryer MeatLoaf
- 2 large eggs slightly beaten
- ¾ cup milk whole or 2%
- ⅔ cup saltine crackers finely crushed
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef 91 or 93% lean
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Line the fryer basket with parchment paper, making sure to go up the sides a bit (this makes it easier to remove). Set aside.
- Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Meatloaf: combine first 7 ingredients. Add ground beef & mix lightly til combined (make sure not to overmix). Form meat mixture into a loaf shape, making sure the top is flat. Place loaf into the fryer basket.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 375 degrees, checking at the halfway mark. If the top is getting too browned, cover the loaf with a small piece of heavy duty foil and continue cooking.
- While meatloaf is cooking, combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- When the meatloaf is done cooking, remove the tray and brush the top and sides with sauce. Return basket to air fryer and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until meatloaf reaches 160 degrees (use a meat thermometer).
- Remove meatloaf from air fryer and allow to set for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Substitute with ground turkey for a healthier option.
- Make a double batch of sauce for dipping.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Recipe adapted from Taste of Home https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mom-s-meat-loaf/
Because every air fryer is different, we recommend checking your food at the halfway point and adjusting the cooking time if necessary.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.