Our Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak recipe is the ultimate comfort food, especially when you top it with homemade gravy. Ready in about 45 minutes, it’s perfect for small families or a dinner for two.
Because chicken fried steak is usually deep-fried, I was a little hesitant to test it in the air fryer. I have heard complaints from some that when they use their traditional deep-fried recipes they feel like they don’t taste the same when air fried.
We’re sharing tips to help you get the best results with this recipe. If you don’t need the tips, scroll to the bottom for the full recipe, including a printable recipe card.
And honestly, that’s to be expected because we’re using minimal amounts of oil. So there is NO WAY the food will taste the same, right? While air fried food may not taste exactly the same as it’s deep fried counterpart, I’m OK with that because it’s healthier.
For the most part, I have had amazing success with transforming traditional fried foods into easy air fryer recipes. And this one is no different! Be sure to check out our scratch-made Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan – it’s divine.
What is Cube Steak and Where Can I Find It?
There are several cuts of meat you can use to make this recipe, but I am working with cubed steak, also known as minute steak.
It’s a cut of beef taken from the top or bottom round and considered a tougher cut of meat. When you purchase cubed steak in the store, it’s already been flattened and tenderized.
You can find this cut of beef at most local grocery stores where the beef cuts are located. It will be flat, in pre-cut pieces, and most likely have a square or diamond pattern from the tenderizing process.
It’s best to cook these budget-friendly steaks quickly over High heat to keep them from becoming tough and dried out.
Difference Between Chicken Fried Steak and Country Fried Steak
On the surface these may seem like the same dish but there are a couple of differences. Chicken Fried Steak typically has a thicker breading made from eggs and flour and served with a white or cream gravy.
Lightly dusted with flour, Country Fried Steak is a little less crispy and usually topped with onions and brown gravy.
Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak Ingredients
Flour – I am using all purpose
Cubed steak – about a pound
Homemade Gravy Ingredients:
Salt and pepper
How to Make Chicken Fried Steak in the Air Fryer
Remove the cube steak from the refrigerator and allow to rest on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes.
Set up a dredging station. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs together. Set up a second shallow bowl or plate and stir together the Nature’s Seasoning and flour.
Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F.
Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel and cut into 4 pieces.
Dip each piece of cubed steak into the flour, then the egg and back in the flour, making sure it’s fully coated. You may need to press them down a little if it seems the breading is not sticking well.
Air fry for 11 minutes, flip the steaks, then cook for another 3 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
How to Make Homemade Cream Gravy
While the steaks are cooking, start making the cream gravy by melting the butter over Medium heat in a saucepan. Add the salt, pepper, and milk.
Whisk in the flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the gravy thickens. I used about 3 tablespoons. If the gravy becomes too thick, thin it out with a little more milk.
Serve the chicken fried steaks immediately after cooking and topped with a couple of spoonfuls of gravy.
Tips for Making
- If you have one large steak, cut it into 4 portions before breading. Cut into 2 pieces if you prefer larger portions.
- While you can skip allowing the steaks to hang out on the counter for a few minutes, we highly recommend this step because it produces a more tender steak.
- Depending on how many steaks you want to make, you might need to cook in batches. For crispiest results, place the steaks in a single layer and minimize overlapping the pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat in the air fryer, cook at 360 degrees F for 3-5 minutes.
What to Serve with Country Fried Steak
More Easy Main Course Air Fryer Meals:
Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
Chicken Fried Steak Ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Nature’s Seasoning
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound cubed steaks
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Remove steaks from refrigerator and allow to sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- Set up a dredging station: in a shallow bowl beat the two eggs. In a second shallow bowl combine the flour and Nature’s Seasoning.
- Pat steaks dry with a paper towel and cut in half. Dip the steaks first in the flour mixture, then the egg and back in the flour to fully coat. Gently press in the coating if it seems loose. Lightly tap the breaded steak to remove excess flour.
- Lightly oil the air fryer basket or use a parchment liner. Add the breaded steaks in a single layer and mist with oil. Cook for 11 minutes. Turn the steaks, mist with oil and cook for 3 more minutes until internal temperature reads 145 degrees F.
- While the steaks are cooking, prepare the gravy by melting the butter in a medium saucepan over Medium heat. Add the milk, salt and pepper. Whisk in a tablespoon of flour at a time, until desired thickness of gravy is achieved. I used 3 tablespoons.
- Remove steaks from air fryer with a spatula and top with gravy.
- Don’t overcrowd your fryer basket. Overfilling the basket will keep the cubed steaks from getting crispy.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Reheat leftovers at 360 degrees F for 3-5 minutes.
Because every air fryer is different, we recommend checking your food at the halfway point and adjusting the cooking time if necessary.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.