These Heart Shaped Hands Pies require just 3 ingredients and make a fun Valentine’s Day or special day dessert. Crispy on the outside, with a gooey cherry filling on the inside.
And the best part? They’re made in the air fryer!
It seems like every year we start preparing for holidays earlier and earlier. Once Christmas is over we start thinking about Valentine’s Day. So this year I wanted to be prepared.
Prior to owning an air fryer, I would bake these cherry hand pies in the oven. But now I make them in the air fryer because it’s so much easier.
Because these hand pies are cute little heart-shapes, you can say “I love you” with them anytime of the year for birthdays and anniversaries.
If you love sweet pastries and want another treat to add to your recipe bank, be sure to check out my Cherry Cheese Danish recipe. Made in the air fryer, too, they are a quick and easy brunch or dessert recipe.
Difference Between Hand Pies and Turnovers
Turnovers are made with a puff pastry dough. The dough is typically cut into squares, filled with fruit or pie filling and folded over to form a triangle shape. They can be topped with a sanding sugar before baking or drizzled with a glaze after baking.
Pie dough is commonly used to make hand pies. You can use either homemade or store bought dough. And the half circle shape is the most common, as seen with these Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies.
You can make these by cutting the dough into circles, add filling then fold over creating a half moon shape. Don’t forget to crimp the edges before baking.
But you can shape hand pies however you please – hello heart and star shapes!
The 3 Ingredients Needed to Make Heart Shaped Cherry Hand Pies
Pre-Made Pie Crust – you’ll find these in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, near the cookie dough and pizza crust
Cherry Pie Filling
How to Make Cherry Hand Pies Shaped Like a Heart
Let’s start by preheating the air fryer to 375 degrees F. If you plan on using any type of liner, wait to place it until after the fryer has heated.
Roll out the pie crust on a flat surface. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out the heart shapes.
Using a teaspoon, add the cherry pie filling to half of the hearts. The remaining hearts will be used to close the pie.
After adding the filling to the crusts, place a heart-shaped piece of crust on top and crimp the edges using a fork.
Beat the egg in a small bowl. Using a brush, lightly coat each heart-shaped pie with egg wash.
Place the pies in the air fryer basket, making sure they don’t touch. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, checking them about halfway through.
Remove from the air fryer, allow to cool and serve.
While the hand pies are delicious on their own, you can add toppings if desired. After adding the egg wash, sprinkle uncooked pies with raw sugar.
Or make a simple glaze of confectioners sugar and a little bit of milk. Allow pies to cool before drizzling with glaze.
Can You Use a Different Pie Filling?
Absolutely! These are some of our favorite fillings when we want to change things up:
Tips to Keep Your Hand Pies From Leaking
- Be careful not to overfill! You only need about a teaspoon of filling for each pie.
- Keep the filling centered in the middle of the crust.
- Crimp the edges fairly tightly and don’t forget the egg wash. It helps to keep the sides sealed.
- If you find the pies are too full after sealing, add a couple slits in the top dough to allow the pressure to release. This will help keep the filling from coming out the sides.
How to Make in the Oven
No air fryer, no problem! You can bake the pies in the oven. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper before placing pies on the prepared pan. Bake for 15 -20 minutes until browned. Remove from pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
More Air Fryer Dessert Recipes:
***Pin the Cherry Heart Shaped Hand Pies Recipe for Later***
Heart Shaped Cherry Hand Pies
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg
- 21 ounce canned cherry pie filling
- Following package directions, allow the pie crusts to come to room temperature.
- Pre-heat air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out the pie crust and cut out shapes with a heart shaped cookie cutter.
- Place a teaspoon of cherry pie filling on half of the hearts. Top with remaining hearts and seal edges with a fork.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly coat each heart with egg wash.
- Place hearts in air fryer basket and cook for 5-8 minutes on 375 degrees F. These fry quickly – check them at the halfway mark and adjust cooking time if needed.
- Remove from air fryer and place on a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Optional toppings:
- After adding the egg wash, sprinkle raw sugar on the uncooked pies before cooking.
- Drizzle cooked and cooled pies with a simple glaze made from confectioner’s sugar and milk.
- The yield will vary based on the size of your cutter.
- To bake: preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place pies on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Transfer cooked pies to a cooling rack.
- Other flavors of pie filling can be used: apple, peach, blueberry and strawberry are good.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.