Air Fryer Cod makes for a great lunch and a quick dinner. Crispy, flavorful, and tender every single time!
Nothing beats a good fish fillet or fish sandwich, with lots of tartar sauce, of course. I am a fried fish person but I don’t make fried food at home because I hate the mess. When I discovered I could make fried white fish in my air fryer I totally jumped on board.
In case you were wondering, I have the Cosori air fryer that I am currently loving right now. It’s a great size for our family, easy to use and it cooks perfectly every time. We’ve made air fryer cauliflower, donuts, and even air-fried meatloaf.
I rarely bother with my oven anymore, because this thing is so easy to use and the food just tastes better in my opinion. And I don’t have to heat up my house.
Why We Love Air Fryer Cod
- You can use fresh or frozen fish
- It only takes 10 minutes to cook
- Little to no cleanup
- Many serving options
Gadgets that Make Air Frying Easier
Parchment Paper Liners – these are precut for your air fryer model (make sure you double check the sizes) and have holes to allow air to circulate so you get even cooking results. You can use these in place of oiling the pan and when you are done, just toss them. Makes cleaning up so much easier!
Oil mister – not all foods need extra oil, but it does help crisp things up a bit. The mister reduces the amount of oil you need to use and it coats the food evenly.
Silicone tongs – using silicone coated tongs makes turning food easier and you don’t have to worry about scratching off the coating of your air fryer basket.
Ingredients for Air Fried Cod
Fish Fillets – we are using cod today but this recipe works well with other white fish like pollock and tilapia
Flour – all purpose
Breadcrumbs – regular or panko, your choice
Spices: onion powder, garlic powder, Old Bay Seasoning, salt and pepper
Oil or cooking Spray
For Serving (optional): tartar sauce, lemon wedges, malt vinegar
How To Make Fish in the Air Fryer
Before we get cooking, you’ll want to set up a dredging station. Start by putting your flour in one bowl, beaten eggs in a second bowl, and breadcrumbs and seasonings in the third bowl.
Rise off your fish filets and pat dry.
Dip the filet into the flour, then the eggs, and finally the breadcrumbs.
Prep the air fryer basket with a bit of oil or use a parchment liner. Mist the breaded fillets with a little bit of oil and place in the air fryer basket. Make sure you don’t crowd the basket.
Cook the cod for 8-10 minutes at 390 degrees, flipping halfway through.
Depending on the size of your air fryer and the amount of fish you are cooking, you may need to cook in batches. If that’s the case, keep the cooked fish warm in the oven until you are ready to serve (set to a low temperature).
Can You Use Frozen Fish?
You can but you should thaw it out first. Thawing and drying the fillets helps the breading to stick. If you choose to cook the frozen fish without breading, you will need to increase your cooking time.
How To Serve Air Fried Cod?
It makes a great meal by itself or add a veggie or salad as a side. These are additional ways to serve:
- On a bun as a sandwich
- Have fish tacos
- In a chowder
- An open-faced melt with cheese
More Air Fryer Recipes That Are Easy and Tasty:
- Air Fryer French Bread Pizza
- Air Fried Onion Rings
- Irresistible Air Fryer Meatballs
- Air Fryer Diced Potatoes
- Air Fryer Drumsticks
Air Fryer Cod
- 24 ounces cod 6-8 fillets
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs or Panko crumbs
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For Serving: Optional
- Lemon wedges
- Tartar sauce
- Malt vinegar
- Add flour to a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- In a second shallow bowl, add the eggs and beat well.
- In a third shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and seasonings.
- Rinse the fish and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Coat fish by first dipping in flour, then in eggs and ending with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Spray fish with olive oil.
- Spray bottom of air fryer basket with oil or line with perforated parchment paper liner.
- Heat air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- Cook fish for 8-10 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown and flaky. You may need to cook in batches based on the size of your basket.
- Serve immediately with tartar sauce and lemons, if desired.
- Substitute with your favorite whitefish (ie pollock or tilapia).
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Optional serving sauces are not included in the nutritional calculation.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.