Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos (5 Ingredients!)
If you’re looking for an easy dinner or appetizer try my 5-ingredient Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos recipe. Ready in about 20 minutes when cooked in the air fryer (we’ve included oven directions, too).
Say no to take-out and frozen taquitos with one of my newest air fryer recipes. Homemade chicken taquitos have never tasted better.
You only need 5 ingredients, 10 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to cook. They also make for great leftovers if you want to make a double batch for future meals and snacks.
I use the Cosori air fryer, and it has been great if you are shopping for a new model or want to upgrade.
We’re sharing tips to help you get the best results with this recipe. If you don’t need the tips, scroll to the bottom for the full recipe, including a printable recipe card.
In case you didn’t know, I love all Mexican-inspired foods including tacos, carnitas, fajitas, burritos, and my latest obsession, taquitos. And I can’t forget Air Fryer Mexican Street Corn – delish!
If you’re a taco lover, you’ll want to check out my Air Fryer Navajo Tacos. They are easy to make and a little different compared to regular tacos. Perfect when you want to switch things up a little bit.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
Cooked chicken – use shredded rotisserie or leftover chicken
Salsa – the fresh cantina-style brings out such authentic flavors, so try to spring for it if you can
Taco seasoning – you can make your own or use store-bought
Flour tortillas – they need to be at least 6 to 8 inches in size
How to Make Chicken Taquitos in the Air Fryer
While the air fryer is preheating to 380 degrees F, add the chicken, sour cream, salsa, and taco seasoning to a medium-size mixing bowl and stir it until it’s well combined.
Lay out the tortillas, filling each with 3 to 4 tablespoons of the chicken mixture. Roll tightly and set aside.
Line the air fryer basket with a parchment liner or spray with a light coating of cooking oil. Add each taquito with the seam down and spritz with oil (an oil mister works great for this).
Cook for 10 minutes, checking on them at the 8-minute mark to ensure they aren’t burning. Use tongs to remove from basket and allow to cool for a couple minutes before serving.
Serve the chicken taquitos with your favorite sauce, cheese or peppers.
If you want melted cheese, sprinkle it on top just before the taquitos are ready to come out of the air fryer.
TIPS FOR MAKING
- For crispier taquitos, make sure they aren’t touching in the basket. You may need to cook in batches depending on the basket size. Or, turn taquitos at the halfway point, spritz with oil and finish cooking.
- If your taquitos are unrolling, secure them with a toothpick while cooking. Remove toothpicks before eating.
Serving Suggestions for Air Fried Taquitos
- Substitute shredded beef (leftover Mississippi Pot Roast works well) or beans & cheese for a meatless option.
- Serve the chicken taquitos with your favorite sauce, cheese or peppers to jazz them up.
- These are best served immediately. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. While oven is preheating, prepare taquitos as directed, up to the point of cooking. Place taquitos on a greased baking sheet and cook until cheese is melted and taquitos are browned and crispy, about 15-20 minutes. Allow them to cool for a couple minutes before serving.
Can You Freeze Taquitos?
Yes! We recommend freezing them uncooked. Follow the directions up to the point of cooking, then place them on a baking sheet in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. Then transfer them to a freezer-safe bag and store for up to 2 months.
For best results, defrost overnight in the refrigerator then cook as directed. You can cook from frozen but you’ll need to add a few minutes to the cooking time.
Chicken Recipes to Make in the Air Fryer
**Save Chicken Taquitos in the Air Fryer for Later**
Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- 1 pound shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cantina-style salsa
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 6 flour tortillas 6”-8” in size
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken, sour cream, salsa and taco seasoning.
- Fill each tortilla with 3-4 tablespoons of the chicken mixture. Roll snugly and set aside, seam side down.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil or use a parchment liner. Place taquitos in the basket seam side down, spritz with oil and cook for 10 minutes. Check at the 8 minute mark to make sure they aren’t burning.
- Remove taquitos from air fryer with tongs. Top with your favorite pepper, cheese or sauce. If you want melty cheese, sprinkle cheese on taquitos before removing from basket and close the basket to melt with residual heat.
- For crispier taquitos, make sure to leave room between the taquitos when placing in the basket. You can also turn them at the halfway point, spritz with oil and continue cooking.
- If the taquitos are unrolling, secure them with a toothpick while cooking. Remove the toothpick before serving.
- Best served immediately. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Oven directions: make as directed up to cooking. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
- To freeze: make taquitos up to cooking, then place on a baking tray and flash freeze for 20-30 minutes. To cook: defrost overnight then cook as directed. If cooking from frozen, add a few minutes to the cook time.
Because every air fryer is different, we recommend checking your food at the halfway point and adjusting the cooking time if necessary.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently for accuracy.